The NT Independent is providing you with a light-hearted look at the candidates for the August 22 NT general election. We’re not looking at policy or platforms at this time, but rather at the person behind them.
Our Q&A should help you get to know the humans of NT politics.
Today’s profile is CLP candidate for Nightcliff, Steve Doherty.
Steve is proud to have called Darwin home for the last 32 years and is honoured to have been selected to represent the Country Liberal Party at 2020 election in the seat of Nightcliff.
Steve has a very diverse background, moving from being a semi-professional basketballer to his current role as a consultant at the Kulaluk Indigenous Community in Coconut Grove, where he also lives.
Having gained an apprenticeship as an Electrical Fitter Mechanic, primarily for the oil and gas industry, Steve then completed an Associate Diploma in Electrical Engineering, becoming a telecommunications technician and was involved in the transition of Telecom to Telstra. As Vice-President of a sub branch of the CEPU during this period, he successfully negotiated the transition from 160 to 30 staff and the changeover of technology. He has experience of both sides of the industrial relations sector, having been a trade union trained workplace advocate.
Steve was active in politics whilst studying Politics and International Relations at the University of the Sunshine Coast, and has worked as a ministerial advisor in areas such as Housing, Essential Services, Vocational and Educational Training, Defence, Community Support, Industrial Relations and Mining.
He has held the role of president of the Darwin Basketball Association, and been on the executive board of the Casuarina Sports Club helping to negotiate considerable funding with the board of management to be shared out to the owners of the club, the Darwin Basketball Association, NT Cricket Association, the Darwin Eight Ball and University Pirates.
Steve’s family is large, diverse and thriving, and he is the proud grandfather of two granddaughters and other step-grandchildren.
Steve has been living and working at Kulaluk Indigenous Community for the last four years, including working on a full audit of the Gwalwa Daraniki Association so they can be self reliant, self responsible and not hanging off the tax payer. They look after two Indigenous community and the only Indigenous age care facility in Darwin. They have also been working hard to develop an Itinerant Community under the bio security requirements that we now all live under which will provide cleaner safer streets to Nightcliff and all of Darwin.
Hopefully an announcement will be made before caretaker mode.
What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received and who did it come from?
Don’t do anything you don’t want to see on the front page of the newspaper – from my mother.
Tell us something interesting or quirky about yourself.
I have a pet goat.
How would your best mate describe you in twenty words or less?
Loyal, reliable, dependable and generous.
If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring one movie, one album and one book, what would they be?
Movie: Big Wednesday directed by John Milius or Endless Summer directed by Bruce Brown surf movies.
Album – Kind of Blue by Miles Davis.
Book Knulp by Herman Hesse.
If you could have dinner with any person in history, who would it be and why?
Nicola Tesla. To learn.
A couple of really quick questions. You can give one-word answers if you wish.
Tea or coffee?
Folder or scruncher?
AFL or NRL?
Wet season or dry season?
Coles or Woollies?
- NT election 2020 candidates – Scott McConnell
- NT election 2020 candidates – Tracey Hayes
- NT election 2020 candidates – Jeff Collins
- NT election 2020 candidates – Tony Schelling
- NT election 2020 candidates – Marie-Clare Boothby
- NT election 2020 candidates – Leanne Butler
- NT election 2020 candidates – Gary Strachan
- NT election 2020 candidates – Kendall Trudgen
- NT election 2020 candidates – Andy Harley
- NT election 2020 candidates – Ngaree Ah Kit
- NT election 2020 candidates – Damien Ryan
- NT election 2020 candidates – Joshua Burgoyne
- NT election 2020 candidates – Kylie Bonanni
- NT election 2020 candidates – Gerard Maley
- NT election 2020 candidates – Jed Hansen
- NT election 2020 candidates – Danial Kelly
- NT election 2020 candidates – Billee McGinley
- NT election 2020 candidates – Matt Paterson
- NT election 2020 candidates – Beverly Ratahi
- NT election 2020 candidates – Caleb Cardno
- NT election 2020 candidates – Jo Hersey
- NT election 2020 candidates – Toby George
- NT election 2020 candidates – Gary Haslett
- NT election 2020 candidates – Dale McIver
- NT election 2020 candidates – Jerry Amato
- NT election 2020 candidates – Melita McKinnon
- NT election 2020 candidates – Melanie Usher