The NT Independent is providing you with a light-hearted look at the candidates for the August 22 NT general election. We’re not looking at policy or platforms at this time, but rather at the person behind them.
Our Q&A should help you get to know the humans of NT politics.
Today’s profile is Territory Alliance candidate for Karama, Caleb Cardno.
Caleb and his wife Rosie bought a house in Karama in 2015 where they live with their two children.
Caleb moved to Darwin from New Zealand in 2009 with $200 in his back pocket, a job as an aircraft engineer and a keenness for adventure. He thought he was coming to Darwin for 12 months, however he got hooked by the Territory’s beauty, lifestyle and opportunities, not to mention his wife.
Caleb has been a youth leader and mentor in Darwin for 9 years and is actively involved on the school councils of both his children’s schools. In his spare time he enjoys bee keeping, and keeps both European and native sugarbag bee hives.
Caleb is a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer, and is now working as a training manager, teaching trade skills to middle school students.
What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received and who did it come from?
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.” – Theodore Roosevelt
Tell us something interesting or quirky about yourself.
Once on a beach in South America some young Latina women asked me how old I was; I proudly announced “tengo quince anos” rather than “tengo quince años”. The difference? I said “I have 15 anuses” rather than “I have 15 years”! My ears and face felt like they were radiating the heat of the sun when I found out what the giggling and laughing was about.
How would your best mate describe you in twenty words or less?
Loves his family. Loves people. Likes to constantly be learning and fixing things.
If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring one movie, one album and one book, what would they be?
Movie: Zoolander directed by Ben Stiller.
Album: The Battle of Los Angeles by Rage Against the Machine.
Book: Lee Kuan Yew: The Man And His Ideas by Han Fook Kwang.
If you could have dinner with any person in history, who would it be and why?
Horatio Nelson, just prior to the battle of Trafalgar. Why? He inspired others around him. He backed his words with action.
A couple of really quick questions. You can give one-word answers if you wish.
Tea or coffee?
White coffee. Or Greek coffee, black. No sugar.
Folder or scruncher?
AFL or NRL?
NRL. Go the Broncos!
Wet season or dry season?
Dry Season. I love teasing my southern mates with Litchfield and Kakadu photos while they freeze their backsides off 😊
Coles or Woollies?
Woollies when they have their own, in-house butchers.
- NT election 2020 candidates – Scott McConnell
- NT election 2020 candidates – Tracey Hayes
- NT election 2020 candidates – Jeff Collins
- NT election 2020 candidates – Tony Schelling
- NT election 2020 candidates – Marie-Clare Boothby
- NT election 2020 candidates – Leanne Butler
- NT election 2020 candidates – Gary Strachan
- NT election 2020 candidates – Kendall Trudgen
- NT election 2020 candidates – Andy Harley
- NT election 2020 candidates – Ngaree Ah Kit
- NT election 2020 candidates – Damien Ryan
- NT election 2020 candidates – Joshua Burgoyne
- NT election 2020 candidates – Kylie Bonanni
- NT election 2020 candidates – Gerard Maley
- NT election 2020 candidates – Jed Hansen
- NT election 2020 candidates – Danial Kelly
- NT election 2020 candidates – Billee McGinley
- NT election 2020 candidates – Matt Paterson
- NT election 2020 candidates – Beverly Ratahi