The NT Independent is providing you with a light-hearted look at the candidates for the August 22 NT general election. We’re not looking at policy or platforms at this time, but rather at the person behind them.
Our Q&A should help you get to know the humans of NT politics.
Today’s profile is Territory Alliance candidate for Casuarina, Dr Danial Kelly.
Danial is a lawyer and educator who has worked mainly on Indigenous legal issues and on education projects in the NT and in Indonesia. Currently a senior lecturer in law at Charles Darwin University, Danial has previously worked at Alawa Primary School, Northern Territory School of Languages and the North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency (NAAJA). Danial is a fluent speaker of Indonesian and is married to Desak, originally from Bali, with four children who range in age from 9 to 22.
What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received and who did it come from?
When I was about 20 years old a 55-year-old man who had just retired advised me to focus on working for the next 35 years and not spend time on things that don’t make money. He said that when I get to 55 I could retire, like him, with a house paid off, new car and boat and then I could enjoy life. He died a couple of months later from a heart attack while on the toilet. I decided not to take his advice.
Tell us something interesting or quirky about yourself.
I like to cook but it can be a bit hit and miss. Ask my kids about the eggplant cake.
How would your best mate describe you in twenty words or less?
Broadminded, decent, of good moral fibre and able to relate to everyday people of varying ethnic backgrounds (actual answer supplied by mate).
If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring one movie, one album and one book, what would they be?
Movie: Apocalypse Now directed by Francis Ford Coppola.
Album: The ‘White Album’ by the Beatles. Book: The Bible.
If you could invite anyone in history to dinner, who would it be and why?
John Steinbeck, author of The Grapes of Wrath. I would ask him to explain his deepest motivations and aspirations for writing that novel.
A couple of really quick questions.
Tea or coffee?
Both in roughly equal quantities.
Folder or scruncher?
Folder. Scrunching is only for kids.
AFL or NRL?
AFL. Actually VFL is what I grew up with but my cousin ended up playing for Sydney Swans when it became AFL.
Wet season or dry season?
Both are magnificent; as one finishes I’m ready for the next.
Coles or Woollies?
Coles Bradshaw Tce Nakara because it used to be Bi Lo.
- NT election 2020 candidates – Scott McConnell
- NT election 2020 candidates – Tracey Hayes
- NT election 2020 candidates – Jeff Collins
- NT election 2020 candidates – Tony Schelling
- NT election 2020 candidates – Marie-Clare Boothby
- NT election 2020 candidates – Leanne Butler
- NT election 2020 candidates – Gary Strachan
- NT election 2020 candidates – Kendall Trudgen
- NT election 2020 candidates – Andy Harley
- NT election 2020 candidates – Ngaree Ah Kit
- NT election 2020 candidates – Damien Ryan
- NT election 2020 candidates – Joshua Burgoyne
- NT election 2020 candidates – Kylie Bonanni
- NT election 2020 candidates – Gerard Maley
- NT election 2020 candidates – Jed Hansen