By Carl Pfeiffer
Alternate locations are being suggested for an open-air sunset lounge which is proposed to be constructed at East Point, as community backlash continues over the current site.
The NT Independent exclusively revealed the development proposed by nightclub Throb’s owners on Monday, which received approval from Darwin Council last week.
A range of groups have voiced their concerns over the proposal, suggesting it should be located elsewhere.

Darwin Council chief executive officer Scott Waters said while council was supportive of the current site, alternate locations within the region could also be considered.
“From council’s point of view, we’re about supporting new and innovative ideas,” he told Mix 104.9.
“Where anybody can come to our council with a well thought out proposal …we’ll have a look at it.
“The Esplanade is already a great events space and a great green space and we have the Vestys Beach area too.”
Previously Throb owner Tim Palmer compared the venue to the iconic KU DE TA beachfront club in Bali and said it would be a family-friendly location.
Other alternate areas suggested for the venue include the Waterfront, Little Mindil and the old Darwin Hospital site.

Northern Territory Property Council executive director Ruth Palmer said the East Point location was zoned as organised recreational public open space and suggested the venue be based in one of the region’s activation centres like Darwin city or Casuarina.
“We are decentralising out of activity centres which we have spent four years working very hard to correct by activities within those major centres,” she said.
“The Darwin Festival is in the CBD and the Glenti is on the Esplanade, they are in our activated spaces that have a flow-on effect to business.
“What we’re seeing here is a proposal in a space that doesn’t allow for this kind of use.
“I don’t disregard that there has been innovative ideas put forward but there other areas where these proposals can go.”
Mr Palmer said he was not getting “any free money” from government for the project and had been told to apply for cash via the $89 million Local Jobs Fund, which includes Business Investment Concessional Loans of up to $3 million.
- US Embassy won’t say if it strangely requested NT Govt hold July 4 celebrations
- Police hunting alleged sex offender in Palmerston
- ‘No child should ever be interrogated by police alone’: Backlash to proposed NT youth laws
- CLP to spruik NT as prime location for ‘AI-ready data centres’ on latest trip to Asia
- Core Lithium restarts mining at Finniss project




0 Comments