Another confirmed COVID-19 case overnight brings Territory total to 22

by | Apr 2, 2020 | COVID-19, Front Page, News | 0 comments

Another Alice Springs woman has tested positive for coronavirus Thursday evening, bringing the Territory’s total to 22 confirmed cases.

A late government statement claimed the woman, aged in her 20s, had been in self-quarantine since returning from the United Kingdom. But no date for when she returned to the NT was offered.

“Under national medical guidelines, contact tracing on her flight is not required due to the delay between her return and becoming unwell,” the statement said.

She is reportedly currently in Alice Springs Hospital receiving care.

There have now been 22 cases of COVID-19 diagnosed in the Northern Territory.

The government continues to advise that “all of these cases have been acquired overseas or interstate”.

Earlier Thursday, a Darwin woman in her 20s and a different Alice Springs woman, whose age was not released, were confirmed as the latest coronavirus cases in the NT.

The women were diagnosed overnight Wednesday, bringing the Territory’s total to 21 confirmed COVID-19 cases by Thursday afternoon.

The Darwin woman tested positive for the disease after returning from Bali on flight JQ82 on Friday, March 20.

Health officials claimed again that she had been in self-quarantine since arriving back in Darwin but warned passengers on flight JQ82 from Bali on March 20 to contact their doctor or the Centre for Disease Control to arrange testing for COVID-19 if they are feeling unwell.

The passengers on that flight were to be in self-quarantine until Friday.

The Darwin woman is now in Royal Darwin Hospital.

The Alice Springs woman, whose age was not released, recently returned from the Gold Coast before being diagnosed with COVID-19.

She too is in Alice Springs Hospital after being in self-quarantine since her return.

Contact tracing on her flights is also not required due to the delay between her return and becoming unwell, the government said.

The latest three reported cases on Thursday bring the Territory’s total to 22 cases of COVID-19. The government maintained all had acquired the illness interstate or overseas.

(Visited 15 times, 1 visits today)