The NT Police have made a public plea for information related to the helicopter that killed Outback Wrangler cast member Chris ‘Willow’ Wilson in an unusual move while an ongoing investigation is underway into allegations two men fabricated and destroyed evidence related to the crash.
Mr Wilson was killed in February while reportedly collecting crocodile eggs while in a basket dangling from the Robinson R44 Raven II helicopter before it crashed.
Police have charged two men, 44-year-old remote helicopter pilot Mick Burbidge and 47-year-old police officer Neil Melon, with a string of charges related to allegations the men interfered with the investigation.
On Monday afternoon, NT Police called for anyone who may have travelled in the helicopter that was involved in the fatal crash to contact them.
“The aircraft involved in the crash, a Robinson R44 Raven II bearing call sign VH-IDW, was believed to be used for scenic and adventure tours in the Northern Territory between 2020 and 2022,” the police statement said.
“Detectives are seeking anyone who may have travelled in this aircraft to contact police on 131 444.”
Police said anonymous reports can be made through Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at crimestoppersnt.com.au.
“We’re particularly interested in anyone who may have taken photos or videos of, or in this aircraft, to come forward and provide these images to police via the following link.,” said Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Corey Borton.
Snr Sgt Borton said the police investigation into the circumstances of the crash were continuing.
The move comes ahead of an Australian Transport Safety Board investigation, which the regulator has previously confirmed it “anticipates” its report will be published by the end of the year.
It was revealed in court last week that Mr Burbidge had been instructed by the courts not to communicate with a number of people connected to the incident, including Outback Wrangler star Matt Wright.
It was also revealed in court that high-profile Darwin businessman and crocodile farmer Mick Burns had been at the site of the crash, according to Crown prosecutor Steve Ledek, but no further details were provided.
There were no allegations made in court that Mr Wright or Mr Burns committed any offence.
Mr Burbidge, who owns Remote Helicopters Australia was charged last month for alleged offences related to the February crash, including destroying evidence, conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and making a false declaration.
Mr Mellon, who reportedly recently resigned from the NT Police after a distinguished career, is facing more than 30 charges in connection to the incident, including perverting the course of justice, unlawfully accessing data, obtaining benefit by deception and disclosing confidential information.
Outback Wrangler cast member Chris ‘Willow’ Wilson was killed in February when the helicopter he was reportedly suspended from while collecting crocodile eggs crashed near King River in East Arnhem Land.
Pilot Sebastian Robinson was seriously injured in the crash but survived. The circumstances around the crash are currently under investigation by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.
Mr Mellon’s case will be back in court on November 9. Mr Burbidge’s case is scheduled for another hearing on November 23.







0 Comments