Ten youth arrested in Alice Springs as crime continues to surge | NT Independent

Ten youth arrested in Alice Springs as crime continues to surge

by | Oct 15, 2020 | Cops, News | 0 comments

Seven youths from nine-years old to 16-years old, were allegedly in a stolen car involved in a police chase in Alice Springs that ended in the car being stopped with tyre spikes, NT Police have said.

NT Police media manager Rob Cross said in a statement that on Tuesday a 2016 black Ford Everest and a wallet were stolen during an early morning break-in of a home in Alice Springs’ East Side.

Just after 4:15am officers observed the vehicle travelling on Telegraph Terrace and initiated a pursuit, following it up until the Tom Brown round-about where a tyre deflation device was successfully deployed,” he said.

Mr Cross said the kids in the car attempted to run from police but were caught.

He said a nine-year-old and 10-years-old were returned to the care of their responsible adult, while four others aged 13, 14, 16 and 16, will undertake programs under the Youth Justice Act, and a 13-year-old girl will face court on charges of recklessly endangering life and aggravated assault.

Police did not provide any details of what alleged act led to the 13-year-old girl’s charges.

Mr Cross said police arrested a further three teenagers on Wednesday, who had allegedly been involved in a number of house break-ins and car thefts earlier this month as well as a police chase.

A 19-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy will face a judge and a possible sentence, with NT Police alleging they broke into an East Side house on October 8 and stole two vehicles and the occupant’s wallet.

“The vehicles were observed driving recklessly in the Alice Springs CBD and it will be further alleged the youth used the victim’s credit card to make a number of unlawful transactions,” he said.

Mr Cross said they were found in a Braitling house and have been charged. The 19-year-old with unlawful use of a motor vehicle, driving in a dangerous manager – pursuit and unlicensed driving. While the 16-year-old was charged with unlawful use of a motor vehicle, unlicensed driving, and obtaining benefit by deception.

The 19-year-old will face additional charges over a separate break-in of a Brailting house on Sunday, he said.

“It is alleged he, along with two other males, gained entry to the back yard of a property on Dixon Road and stole two bottles of alcohol before they were disturbed by the resident,” Mr Cross said.

“The group returned a short time later and tried to gain entry to the property again before leaving the area.”

The 19-year-old man will face charges of trespass and stealing, and will face court at a date undisclosed by police, while a separate 16-year-old boy involved in the break-ins has been charged with one count of trespass and one count of stealing, and will also face court.

Ads by Google

Ads by Google

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

0 Comments

Submit a Comment