NT Police have released an image of a man they want to speak with in connection to the alleged arson of the NT Oriental Emporium in Coconut Grove last month and are calling on the public to help identify him.
Police described the man as in his “30s – 40s with short dark hair and a full sleeve tattoo on his left arm, and was wearing a white T-shirt and dark shorts”.
“We believe this man may be able to help us with our investigation and ask that he, or anyone who can identify him, contacts police on 131 444 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, quoting reference number 9444888,” said Detective senior sergeant Mark Malogorski.
Supt Malogorski said the man shown in the image was seen in the vicinity of the NT Oriental Emporium in Coconut Grove.
But he did not mention what time or when the man was seen in the area.
In October, the police appealed to the public to help them find a person caught on CCTV who appeared to have lit the NT Oriental Emporium.
NT Police said on October 12 that CCTV images from a nearby business appeared to show a “person lighting a fire” in the early hours of Thursday morning, which extensively damaged the business and destroyed stock.

NT Oriental Emporium on fire. Picture: Facebook
The alleged arsonist’s physique was also not detailed by the police, but they believe the person seen in the earlier CCTV images may have suffered burns in the process of lighting the fire.
It was not mentioned which part of the body may have been burned, however, authorities said the suspected arsonist may have sought treatment for their injuries.
But the police did not give a follow-up on the alleged arsonist captured on CCTV.
The public are urged to contact police with any information on 131 444 or via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 and quote reference number 9444888.
The maximum penalty for arson in the NT is life imprisonment.
Store owners Kivi and Vicki Lay expressed their sadness at losing their shop to fire on October 8, posting on social media at the time that the fire was “our worst nightmare come true”.
The family has pledged to rebuild.
According to fire investigators, the fire started just before 3 am on October 8. Firefighters were on scene for more than a day as spot fires continued at the site, closing Bagot Rd for more than three hours.




0 Comments