International fruit-pickers from Vanuatu will be coming to the NT to assist the Territory’s struggling mango industry after all, following a last minute deal approved by the Vanuatu government on Tuesday.
The seasonal worker COVID-19 pilot program will allow fruit pickers from Vanuatu to travel to the Northern Territory as the first international workers to enter Australia since pandemic travel restrictions were put in place.
The program was developed after travel restrictions meant most seasonal workers the industry relies on had left the country in April.
The NT Farmers Association welcomed the news as the industry gears up for prime season.
“This has been an extremely complex process and the final details of the departure, date and numbers are currently being worked through,” the association said in a statement.
A Vanuatu government spokesman said last week that most ministers were against the plan and that the scheme might not proceed. Some government officials wanted to instead focus on repatriating their own citizens who are currently overseas. But the government on Tuesday agreed to proceed with the program.
Vanuatu has not reported any coronavirus cases to date.
It’s expected 162 workers will be brought in from Vanuatu to pick mangoes in the Northern Territory under the seasonal worker program. They will first be subject to mandatory supervised quarantine at Howard Springs. The NT Farmer’s Association said the local industry will cover the costs of the flights and the $2500 quarantine which is expected to cost a total of $500,000.
NT Farmer’s Association chief executive Paul Burke said they had engaged with all key stakeholders to advance the pilot program and that details will be made available once the agreement has been finalised.
Although the original flight was delayed following the late response from the Vanuatu government, it’s expected the workers will arrive in the coming days.
The program made news earlier this week, when it was revealed locals were having a hard time singing up to help pick mangoes here. The program could pave the way for more seasonal workers to enter the NT in the coming weeks and months.
The mango industry is worth around $112 million each year to the NT economy, and provides around 52 per cent of the national crop.




0 Comments