If you weren’t on Tourism NT’s website late last night or early this morning, you’ve missed out on the Gunner Government’s $200 tourism vouchers, with all 26,000 vouchers already claimed.
The vouchers, which were created to help stimulate the Territory’s moribund tourism industry during the pandemic, were made available last night at midnight and by 9am on Wednesday, they were all claimed by eager Territorians.
The overwhelming response caused NT Tourism’s website to crash momentarily.
Anyone who missed out can now put their name on a “wait list for possible further allocations of vouchers”, the government said in a statement.
Chief Minister Michael Gunner announced the $5.2 million voucher scheme last month to help tourism operators stay in business while the industry recovers from the decision at the time to keep the borders closed during what is the Territory’s prime tourism season.
The borders will now reopen on July 17.
There was no mention at the time of any future vouchers being considered.
“Our tourism and hospitality industries have been hardest hit by the coronavirus,” Mr Gunner said when announcing the scheme. “The Territory Tourism Voucher will give them the boost they need ahead of our borders re-opening.”
According to the government, in the first five minutes after registrations opened at midnight today, 1500 vouchers were issued, jumping up to 3700 in the first half an hour.
By 6am, 5400 vouchers had been issued. By 9am, all were claimed.
The vouchers can be put towards an NT tourism experience, tour, accommodation, hire car or recreational fishing charter, matched the spend with their own money.
The government said in a statement that Territorians who registered for the voucher should receive an email within 24 hours of registration.