‘Only a matter of time’: Alleged hit-and-run driver turns himself in

by | Sep 25, 2020 | Cops, News | 0 comments

A man who is alleged to have almost killed a five-year-old boy after allegedly striking him with his car on Vanderlin Drive, sending him flying into the air, has turned himself in to police.

The man, 22, turned himself into police last night and will face court today.

Witnesses to the incident said the driver of a silver Ford Falcon had struck the child riding a scooter on Monday afternoon and fled the scene, leaving him in a critical condition.

NT Police had intensified their search for the driver throughout the week, releasing images and videos of the vehicle and person of interest captured on CCTV prior to the crash.

Police said the public had provided numerous leads following the incident, but on Thursday evening, the man, 22, handed himself in to Detectives from the Major Crash Investigation Unit.

A search warrant was executed at a Nakara address, police said.

Detective Senior Constable First Class Rhys Studders thanked the public for their assistance in locating the vehicle and driver, and said it was only a matter of time before the search would have ended.

“We received numerous tips from members of the public with information and sightings of vehicles, and we followed every one of those leads,” he said.

“Had this man not handed himself in, it really was only a matter of time before we were knocking on his door.

“I’d like to thank the public for being our eyes and ears, particularly those who called us with information. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.”

Police earlier alleged on Monday that the driver did not stop and continued on towards Casuarina, leaving the child with broken legs, a shattered shin and arm injuries.

Witnesses provided first aid before St John Ambulance arrived and the boy was taken to Royal Darwin Hospital where he remains in a stable condition.

The boy’s mother told the ABC her son was crossing at the pedestrian lane while on his scooter with his brother and a friend.

“They’ve done the right thing and waited for the traffic and unfortunately one guy didn’t stop,” she said.

“He suffered two broken legs, a shattered shin and a suspected broken elbow as well.”

NT Police spokesman Rob Cross said a search warrant was executed at an address in Nakara.

The vehicle allegedly involved in the incident, a silver 2005 Ford Falcon BA XR6 sedan, was also seized.

“The man was charged with one count of Hit and Run Cause Serious Harm,” Mr Cross said.

“He was refused bail to appear in the Darwin Local Court today.”


(Visited 994 times, 2 visits today)