The five-year-old girl who went missing early Sunday morning has been found dead after days of search efforts by NT Police and Alice Springs community members, with the hunt for alleged abductor and now suspected child rapist and murderer Jefferson Lewis the police’s sole focus.
NT Police announced the “distressing” discovery Thursday afternoon at a brief press conference, with Commissioner Martin Dole saying that Kumanjayi Little Baby, whom she is now called for cultural reasons, was discovered by police search crews just before noon roughly five kilometres from where she was last seen at Old Timers town camp.
“This is an incredibly distressing development,” Mr Dole said. “[Her] family have been notified and our thoughts are firmly with them at this devastating time.”
Mr Dole said police would not provide answers today about the cause of the girl’s death “or how long she may have been deceased”.
“A post-mortem examination will now be conducted, most likely tomorrow, and that will be a critical step in establishing those facts,” he said.
“The criminal investigation is ongoing and a coronial process will now also begin.”
Assistant Commissioner Peter Malley said results of forensic testing on the child’s underwear, discovered near the house where she went missing on Sunday, were returned today and matched DNA of the girl and her alleged abductor Jefferson Lewis.
“The focus right now is to locate Jefferson Lewis – it is our sole job in this investigation right now,” he said.
“So I say to the family of Jefferson Lewis that we believe he’s murdered this child, do not assist him. Get him to the police station and we’ll look after him.
“And I say to Jefferson Lewis: we’re coming for you.”
No further information was provided and the press conference ended abruptly.
Hundreds of people and many businesses had joined in search efforts in Alice Springs since Sunday, with the disappearance making national news.

Kumanjayi Little Baby (Pic used with permission of family)
Kumanjayi Little Baby was last seen after being tucked in to a bed by her mother late Saturday night at a house at Old Timers town camp. She was reported missing around 1:30am Sunday.
Police said on Monday they believed Lewis, 47, had abducted her and had been seen holding the girl’s hand at some point earlier in the evening on Saturday at the same house where a party was being held. Police said on Tuesday a crime scene behind the house had been established.
It wasn’t until Wednesday that they disclosed the girl’s underwear, a doona cover and Lewis’ shirt were found at the crime scene, with DNA on the girl’s underwear found to match Lewis.
Police had deployed horses, drones and helicopters throughout the five day search, which also involved hundreds of volunteers.
Mr Dole said the “worst possible outcome” had been realised and that news of her death would be devastating for the Alice Springs community.
“All of those around Australia who have been worrying for [the child], the support shown during this time has been overwhelming, and this is the worst possible outcome,” he said.
“It is very important that Alice Springs community continues to support one another and it’s equally important that the police be allowed to continue to do their job.”
NT Police later Thursday afternoon released a statement from Kumanjayi Little Baby’s mother.
“To Kumanjayi Little Baby,” the note started. “Me and Ramsiah miss and love you.
“I know you are in heaven with the rest of the family with Jesus and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Me and your brother will meet you one day.
“We are giving our lives to Jesus.
“It is going to be so hard to live the rest of our lives without you. Ramsiah wants to tell you that when he sees you in heaven, he is going to give you the biggest hug ever.
“Love from Mum and Ramsiah.”
Police said the family have thanked all the volunteers who have helped with the search, including “everyone who has come from interstate, police, land councils, and everyone else that has turned up every day to look for Kumanjayi Little Baby”.
Chief Minister Lia Finocchiaro issued a statement in which she extended “our deepest condolences to the family, loved ones, and the broader community during this heart-breaking time”.
“This news was everyone’s worst fear, and it is heartbreaking,” she said.
“I want to recognise and thank all emergency services personnel and community members who have assisted throughout the search.
“A criminal investigation is ongoing, and in the interests of justice, I urge anyone with information to come forward and assist police.
“Right now, our focus is on a family, a town and a Territory grieving and the hunt for justice is on.
“Now is the time for anyone with information to come forward. Every piece of information matters.”
Police said on Wednesday they believe members of the community have been aiding Lewis and keeping his whereabouts from police. They called for anyone with any information to contact them on 131 444, triple zero or CrimeStoppers on 1 800 333 000 or via their website.






To all Australians,
Please forgive me for saying that which l strongly believe is the thought but unsaid truth!
We must all be held to account for their are so many amongst us that know how many young vulnerable Australians, our innocent, have a home life that poses a threat! To frightened to sleep, be home and always wanting of comfort, food and love!
I have silently hoped to hear news that this little Territorian girl would be found safe, sadly l braced myself the news may be far from kind!
This has got to stop- The past shall not be given the right to predict the future!
We, in the Northern Territory have two federal senators and MLA’s that are Australians that identify as having aboriginal lineage,AND we, each of us, must call them to act!
Today is not the day to be a proud Territorian- we have to do better!
Believe me- given the chance- I WOULD FORCE ACCOUNTABILITY TO DRIVE CHANGE!
My thoughts are of the family and for the many sunken hearts that searched!
Today is officially are shit day!
One section of the political divide has been calling for tougher sentences for violent criminals, especially repeat violent criminals.
One section of the political divide has been trying to get people to realise that there are vulnerable children in unsafe living arrangements that need to be removed from those situations for their own safety.
But another section of the political divide has been calling us names beginning with R for trying to protect the innocent.
We are not all to blame. Only one section of the political divide is to blame.