A 21-year-old man is facing a string of charges including assault and deprivation of liberty after he allegedly assaulted his partner and tried to run her down in his car, before taking a toddler from her home and assaulting police in Humpty Doo early on Friday morning, NT Police said.
Police allege the man was travelling along Girraween Road during the early hours of Friday morning when he and his partner began arguing before his partner asked him to stop the car so she could exit. As she tried to leave, the man allegedly grabbed her by the throat, forcing her to stay in the car.
When the woman managed to escape, the man chased her on foot, tackling her to the ground before she was able to push him off and hide in nearby bushland, police said.
The man then allegedly got back into his vehicle and attempted to run the woman down several times before a nearby resident contacted police.
Police said the woman then returned to her home where she noticed that the property had been broken into and her two-year-old daughter was missing.
Police said they searched the area and located the man and the toddler in the vehicle, however when an officer attempted to arrest the man, he drove off with the officer’s arm trapped and dragging him “a short distance”.
The cop was able to free himself and suffered only minor injuries.
The 21-year-old then returned to the woman’s home to return the child and fleeing again, police said.
He later contacted police on Friday afternoon, stating that he would turn himself in but did not appear. He later contacted police again and was subsequently arrested “without incident” in Winnellie.
NT Police have used the incident to remind the public that it is mandatory to report incidents of domestic and family violence under NT law.
“We ask to the community to take this obligation seriously because you can help someone who is suffering at the hands of someone else,” said Acting Senior Sergeant Jon Beer.
“Police would like to speak with any witnesses who were in the area or have relevant information [pertaining to the Humpty Doo incident].”
The man was expected to appear in Darwin Local Court Monday charged with three counts of deprivation of liberty, three counts of aggravated assault, two counts of recklessly endangering serious harm, unlawful entry, escaping lawful custody and assaulting police.







0 Comments