A COVID-19 outbreak has struck a massive cruise ship that was in Darwin five days ago, which was expected to keep more than 100 passengers and crew isolated on-board for days, after the outbreak was reported off the coast of WA.
The Coral Princess was the first large cruise ship to enter NT and WA waters since new cruise protocols were put into effect during the pandemic.
It was reported last night that there are up to 100 confirmed COVID-19 cases on board the vessel of nearly 2,000 people. The company said those infected were being isolated from other guests and those showing symptoms were being tested.
Passengers spent last Thursday touring around Darwin City, shopping at retail outlets, and dining at the city’s hospitality venues.
Princess Cruises said that it is adhering to the national eastern seaboard and WA cruise protocols.
“A rise in cases among guests is being managed effectively in accordance with the Protocols, which exceeds standards that apply to land-based venues,” a spokesperson said.
ABC reported the president of Carnival Australia, which owns Princess Cruises, said the “majority of our guests … can continue to access our facilities and are able to disembark at the scheduled destinations”.
After leaving Darwin on Thursday, the ship docked in Broome on Monday evening. The company said the itinerary will include Geraldton, Fremantle, Busselton and Albany before returning to Sydney next month.
WA Health told the media outlet it was aware of the “evolving situation” on board the vessel of passengers and crew testing positive and that the cruise company was managing the issue according to its COVID plans.
“Under the protocols, those on-board vessels who have COVID should isolate for five days,” a spokeswoman said.
In Darwin last week, Coral Princess passengers were greeted upon arrival by Tourism Top End visitor information ambassadors, a performance by didgeridoo artist eMDee at the Port, live music in the Smith Street Mall, and the Larrakia Nation performing Welcome to Country ceremonies.
The ship, which it is believed had 1,970 passengers and crew on board, was also celebrated with an official plaque exchange between the ship and Darwin Port. It departed Darwin on Thursday night.







0 Comments