A 20-year-old male has been arrested and charged by the NT Police in connection to the alleged violent sexual assault of an elderly woman inside her Woodroffe home on Wednesday night.
The suspect, arrested on Friday night by members of the police’s Fugitive Task Force, is facing serious offences including sexual intercourse without consent, aggravated burglary, aggravated assault, and depriving a person of personal liberty.
“This was a particularly heinous crime, and this arrest reflects a coordinated effort by Sex Crimes Unit, Forensics, Fugitive Task Force, Domestic Violence Investigation Unit, General Duties, Serious Crime, Territory Intel, CCTV operators and Dog Operations Unit,” Detective Senior Sergeant Toby Wilson said.
Police previously reported they first received a call about the sexual assault at approximately 8:50 pm on Wednesday.
It was initially alleged the man, who was unknown to the woman, entered through the back door of the house “before sexually assaulting the woman and fleeing the scene”, police said.
But on Friday, police said investigations indicated the man entered through the front door.
On Thursday, police asked the public for help locating the suspect but did not provide a description. A full description was provided on Friday before the arrest, although police did not say what led to them locating the suspect.
“The Sex Crimes Unit remains dedicated to supporting victims of sexual violence while relentlessly pursuing and prosecuting those responsible,” Snr Sgt Wilson said.
The 20-year-old male is still in police custody and is scheduled to appear in Darwin Local Court on Monday.





0 Comments