A teenager has been charged over the alleged rape of a young girl in her bedroom in Woodroffe while she slept in the early hours of Thursday morning, NT Police said.
Police media manager Rob Cross said the 15-year-old boy was charged with three counts of sexual intercourse without consent, and one of breaking into a house at night.
Police had not reported the alleged attack as a rape in a statement on Thursday, referring to it only as an assault. They also reported the alleged offender as a man, even after he was arrested yesterday afternoon.
The age of the girl or any injuries she suffered have not been given.
Police had previously alleged that around 3am, the girl woke her mother to inform her that a man had been in her room and had assaulted her.
The mother told police that the intruder had immediately ran from the house.
Mr Cross said the teen was remanded to appear in court on Friday and thanked the public for their concern and assistance.
NT Police’s media unit came under fire for not reporting sexual assaults earlier this year.
In March, a registered sex offender was caught outside a little girl’s bedroom in the northern suburbs with a “rape kit” after he had been in the girl’s room on several occasions to sexually assault her – including one night when he hid behind the bedroom door while the child’s father had checked on her. Police did not notify the public about that incident, until the NT Independent made it public.
In April, police revealed that a 14-year-old male who was alleged to be on drugs broke into a 12-year-old girl’s room in Bakewell but did not harm the girl.