Seven more people have been fined for breaching COVID-19 quarantine rules in the NT, as police condemn the “selfish actions” of a few who put Territorians at risk.
The fines come as the NT recorded its first new case of coronavirus since April this week.
A man from coronavirus-stricken Victoria and a woman from NSW breached their mandatory self-quarantine and were placed under supervised quarantine at their own expense; while five others have been slapped with noncompliance penalties.
The 47-year-old man from Victoria arrived in the Northern Territory on June 29 and was under a COVID-19 Management Plan for a company in Pine Creek. He was later found to be dining out the next day, NT Police said.
The 51-year-old woman from New South Wales who arrived in Darwin on June 30, was found after she had been shopping and was greeted by the police when she arrived back to her accommodation.
Meanwhile, a 25-year-old-man and a 43-year-old woman, who arrived in the NT on June 22 and June 30 respectively, have also been found breaching their quarantine when they flew to Gapuwiyak to undertake self-isolation but were later found to be not complying with quarantine requirements; the man was caught trading at a makeshift store on July 1, while the woman was in a place unsuitable for quarantine.
Details around their travel history were not disclosed.
Both were relocated to Nhulunbuy where they will complete their quarantine at a commercial premise at their own expense.
On July 1, three others, ages 38 to 67, were also found to be absent in their place of quarantine during compliance checks.
NT Police said the continued non-compliance with quarantine orders reflect “selfish actions of a few that expose the public to potential danger”.
“People still aren’t getting the message that their actions are putting the entire community at risk,” said Acting Commander Shaun Gill.
The infringement penalty for an individual is $1,106 and $5,530 for a business.
21, 831 compliance checks have now been completed and 110 fines issued.