Search for missing girl enters day four, as police reveal man's shirt and child's underwear found | NT Independent

Search for missing girl enters day four, as police reveal man’s shirt and child’s underwear found

by | Apr 29, 2026 | Cops, News | 0 comments

NT Police are continuing their search for missing five-year-old Sharon Granites four days after she went missing from Old Timers town camp outside of Alice Springs, with Police Commissioner Martin Dole calling for those with knowledge of the whereabouts of Jefferson Lewis, the man police believe abducted the girl, to come forward.

Sharon was reported missing early Sunday morning after being put to bed by her mother in a house that convicted criminal Lewis was at, with police stating on Tuesday that the man had been seen holding the child’s hand at one point earlier in the evening. A crime scene was later established behind Old Timers camp.

On Wednesday, Assistant Commissioner Peter Malley revealed police had found a shirt belonging to Lewis on Sunday, as well as child’s underwear they believe belongs to the five-year-old at the crime scene near the banks of the Todd River.

Police said on Wednesday they believe Sharon is still alive and that Lewis is still in the Alice Springs area, adding that people who know where he is could be concealing his whereabouts from authorities.

“We believe that there are members of the community that absolutely know where Jefferson Lewis is. What I want to say to you is – tell us,” Mr Dole said.

“Tell us what you know. Tell us where he is. Tell us how to contact him. If you are withholding the information because you are frightened, please have confidence that we will treat that information sensitively.”

Mr Dole said locating Sharon is the NT Police’s top priority, with multiple resources already expended on the effort that has also involved members of the public, Aboriginal community leaders, businesses and other volunteers. Up to 100 people were involved in the ongoing search on Wednesday.

“We are imploring the entire community, anybody who may have information, no matter how small that could help us locate Sharon, to contact police on 131 444,” he said.

“If people are more comfortable, interpreters are available, and information can be provided anonymously through Crime Stoppers on 1 800 333 000. We will follow up every single piece of information that we receive, the smallest detail could be the one that unlocks this investigation.”

Police have not received any new leads since the disappearance.

Sharon Granites (Pic: NT Police)

Mr Malley confirmed police had found Lewis’ “distinct” yellow shirt he had been wearing that day, the underwear and a doona cover at the crime scene on the riverbank on Sunday, which have all been sent for forensic analysis.

He said police still believe Lewis is in the area and that they were “considering everything at this stage”, including if he is receiving assistance.

“I would caution anybody assisting him, because you could also find yourself being charged with offenses,” Mr Malley said.

“From people we’ve spoken to, we still think he’s here, but like I said, I’ve been wrong before, and we’re considering everything.”

Mr Malley said police are confident Sharon is still alive because of the survival timeframe and that she could be “wandering around on her own in the bush”.

“We’re considering everything, and she may have come to harm, but we still think she’s alive, and our number one mission is to find her safe and well,” he said.

The results of the forensic analysis of the clothing items will be provided on Thursday, Mr Malley said.

Sharon was reported missing at 1:30 am on Sunday morning. She was wearing a dark blue short-sleeve T-shirt with a white ring stripe and black boxer-style underwear at the time of her disappearance.

On Monday, police said they were also searching for Jefferson Lews, 47, who disappeared from the camp around the same time as the girl and had been in the same house where a celebration had been held.

Lewis is known to police for domestic and family violence offences and was released from prison six days before the alleged abduction, but was not under any supervision orders.

“There’s people in the community that aren’t telling us what we need to hear,” Mr Malley said on Wednesday.

“It’s really frustrating when we believe that there’s some serious offenses been committed and people are withholding that information from the police.”

 

 

Ads by Google

Ads by Google

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

0 Comments

Submit a Comment