Santos retaliates in the fight over the Barossa gas project | NT Independent

Santos retaliates in the fight over the Barossa gas project

by | May 26, 2023 | Business, News | 0 comments

Santos has rejected allegations of human rights violations at its Barossa gas project and Darwin LNG life extension project, claiming that it has a long history of progressive Indigenous engagement and cultural heritage management.

In a statement Santos said a number of its investors received a letter from Equity Generation Lawyers, on behalf of up to nine people, claiming breaches of human rights of Tiwi islanders, and Larrakia people in the Top End, and Gomeroi people in New South Wales, rising from the company’s projects.

The company said the letter also urged investors to exit loans and halt all future approvals for the company’s projects.

“… immediately begin to effectively exercise its leverage, on Santos to stop development of the Barossa, DLNG and Narrabri projects, or if this is not achieved within a reasonable time, divest,” the letter read.

Santos said the claimants had not sought to have the grievances determined or remedied in a court of competent jurisdiction where it could properly respond.

“Our operations have co-existed with farmers, fishermen, traditional owners and other land users for decades. Santos has over 90 agreements in place across Australia that relate to native title, Aboriginal land rights and cultural heritage management, involving six Aboriginal Land Councils and 23 traditional owner groups,” the Santos statement countered.

The company said it had followed the proper regulatory process for its projects, including appropriate consultations with Indigenous people and other stakeholders, and considered their feedback before finalising project plans.

Last month, six Tiwi islanders and a member of Larrakia Nation put forward a 39-page complaint with four Australian banks and eight international banks over the $1.5 billion loans provided to Santos.

Prepared by the same law firm, the complaint sent to Westpac purported it was contributing to adverse human rights impacts on Tiwi and Larrakia traditional owners. The bank rejected allegations of human rights violations and reserved its rights in the matter.

“We take the claimants’ concerns seriously and would like to assure the claimants we will engage with Santos in good faith with those concerns. This is not a correct description under any applicable domestic laws, prevailing human rights standards or Westpac’s policies,” the bank said.

In September last year, Santos suspended drilling on the Barossa project after a court ruled that its environmental approval was invalid because the company had not properly consulted the Munupi clan.

The Barossa field is 285 km northwest of Darwin and 140km from the Tiwi Islands.

Santos, before the drilling stoppage, expected the $5.5 billion project to deliver its first gas in 2025.

“Santos’ comment that grievances are to be addressed in a court of competent jurisdiction is absurd. It fails to grasp that those banks and super funds in Australia have committed to international human rights standards that may go beyond domestic law,” Equity Generation Lawyers said.

 

Ads by Google

Ads by Google

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

0 Comments

Submit a Comment