New NT online campsite booking system crashes on first day | NT Independent

New NT online campsite booking system crashes on first day

by | Mar 1, 2022 | News | 0 comments

The NT Government’s new online campsite booking system crashed for more than an hour on the first day it was operational, which the government said was due to high demand.

From today, tourists and locals must now book and pay online for camping and walking trail permits before arriving at any parks after the Northern Territory Parks booking system went live, with the government saying its “teething issues” are being resolved at the moment.

The system went live at 9am but crashed for at least an hour before later being restored.

The Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade said they are currently experiencing high volumes of traffic to the system.

The government said they are working closely with the Department of Corporate and Digital Development (DCDD) and the system owner, US eDirect, to reconfigure the booking system.

Parks and Wildlife Commission executive director Sally Egan said visitors to Territory parks will have “greater certainty” and “better planning options” when camping or undertaking more popular multiday walking trails through the new online booking system.

Ms Egan admitted the site was currently experiencing teething issues “that go with introducing new outward facing systems”.

“We apologise for the system sluggishness this morning,” she said. “US eDirect are working flat out behind the scenes to rectify the issue.

“We understand this system is going to be a big change for park users and we ask for patience and respect for staff during this time.

“Abusive behaviour toward our rangers out on park will not be tolerated.”

Rangers are not allowed to accept cash or card payments on parks, Ms Egan added.

She said the government will have a customer service team available 7 days a week through business hours to assist during the transition and, where possible, rangers will be available to assist with helping park users to ensure they have a booking before camping.

Anyone having issues booking online can call the dedicated customer service team on 1300 281 121 from 8am-4:30pm.

“Parks will also extend free Wi-Fi services for 12 months at Wangi Falls, Karlu Karlu and Watarrka utilising the Easyweb Wi-fi service,” the Tourism Department said in a statement.

“This booking system will take the pressure off trying to rush to your favourite campsite on a Friday after work only to discover it is full and you have to turn around and go home.”

The department said it will also “ensure parks receive vital revenue to help maintain them for generations to come”.

On the website, visitors can view which parks are open or closed and check available dates.

The Tourism and Trade department said they’ve put up signs at the airports as well as at parks and reserves and regular reminders on Facebook to ensure visitors to the Territory are aware of the changes.

The government was criticized last January after introducing park entry fees and increasing camping charges for Territory parks.

Some industry experts were concerned it could further stagnate an already struggling NT tourism industry still reeling from the effects of COVID-19.

In March last year, the announcement of park fees followed the launching of the NT Government’s domestic tourism campaign ‘Seek Different.’

Minister for Parks and Rangers Selena Uibo said changes to the management of Territory parks and reserves will help “protect, modernise and improve the parks while bringing the Northern Territory in line with other jurisdictions.”

“It’s not excessive and I don’t think it’ll deter any tourists,” she said.

Ms Uibo estimated the costs of the new system between $2.5 million and $5 million.

Access the booking system here: https://parkbookings.nt.gov.au/Web/

 

Ads by Google

Ads by Google

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

0 Comments

Submit a Comment