Outback Wrangler star Matt Wright has turned himself in to NT Police and has been formally charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice, making threats to witnesses and destroying evidence, among other serious charges, in connection to a helicopter crash in West Arnhem Land in February that killed his mate and co-star Chris “Willow” Wilson.
Mr Wright arrived at the Darwin airport Tuesday morning amid a media circus after arriving onboard a flight from Sydney and later appeared at the Knuckey St police station shortly after 2pm with his lawyer.
Police said he has been charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice, destroying evidence, fabricating evidence, two counts of unlawful entry (building and residence), making a false declaration and making threats/reprisals “interfere with witnesses – Criminal Investigation/Court Processes”.
Mr Wright was bailed and appeared in Darwin Local Court at 9:30am this morning, with the matter being held over for a preliminary examination mention on January 25.
The conditions of the bail included no contact orders of “certain people and to reside at a particular address”, police said.
Police issued an arrest warrant for Mr Wright on Monday morning, giving him until 9am Wednesday to turn himself in.
Police allege the charges against Mr Wright relate to the February helicopter crash that killed his friend Mr Wilson and seriously injured pilot Sebastian Robinson who both had been on a crocodile egg collecting job in West Arnhem Land.
Mr Wright’s spokesman said on Monday in a media statement that he denies the allegations of wrongdoing and will fight the charges.
“Matt strenuously denies any wrongdoing,” the statement said. “What happened was a tragic accident that took the life of a close mate.
“His immediate concern following the accident was the condition of the two team members on board at the time.
“The next priority was ensuring the other helicopters and team members at the site weren’t at risk and that the location was safe.
“Matt will not be making any further statement but he will be vigorously defending the charges.”
Two others have also been charged in connection with the fatal crash, helicopter pilot Mick Burbidge and former police officer Neil Mellon, who have both been charged with similar offences.







0 Comments