A 36-year-old alleged scammer, who illegally entered the NT earlier this month with stolen identity documents has been arrested and charged, NT Police said.
The man is alleged to have used the stolen documents to commit identity fraud “throughout the Northern Territory” and provided police with a false name and identification when he entered the NT.
Police did not say where the man originally came from or when he arrived in the NT – highlighting concerns on how border control measures are being executed.
Police said between September 11 and 27, the man allegedly stole the personal identification documents, but it was not disclosed where.
“This individual has allegedly defrauded over $100,000 from his victim and his actions have caused unjust distress,” Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Bland said.
It is unclear how the man defrauded more than $100,000 from the one victim.
The man was charged with 39 counts of obtaining a benefit by deception, two counts of “dealing with identification information”, two counts of furnishing false details to police, two counts of possession of stolen property and one count of stealing.
He was also charged with contravening an emergency declaration for providing a false name when entering the NT. He was scheduled to appear in Darwin Local Court today.
Detectives from Strike Force Trident nabbed the man on Monday and the arrest was made public two days later. It’s believed he was in Darwin.
“Strike Force Trident will continue to focus on all elements of property crime in the Northern Territory,” Sgt Bland said.