Kalidonis NT and director Theofilos Kalidonis facing charges over death of worker

by | Mar 14, 2022 | News | 0 comments

Construction company Kalidonis NT and its sole director Theofilos Kalidonis are facing charges over the death of a worker in Maningrida in March 2020, including industrial manslaughter, with potential fines of about $11 million and five years in prison, NT Work Safe has said.

Work Safe executive director Bill Esteves said the company faced the industrial manslaughter charge, which came with a maximum fine of $10.3 million, for the March 20, 2020 death, and two alternative charges of reckless conduct, with a maximum penalty of $3 million, and failing to comply with a health and safety duty, with a maximum penalty of $1.5 million.

He said, in addition Kalidonis NT, faces another charge for an alleged incident involving the deceased worker which occurred eight days earlier on March 12, 2020.

Mr Estevees said the company’s sole director Mr Kalidonis had been charged with reckless conduct over the death, which came with a maximum penalty of $600,000 or five years in prison or both, and failing to comply with a health and safety duty, which came with a maximum penalty of $300,000.

Mr Kalidonis has also been charged with failing to comply with a health and safety duty over the alleged March 12 incident, which carries a maximum penalty of $300,000, Work safe said.

The charges against Kalidonis NT and Mr Kalidonis will be mentioned in the Darwin Local Court on Tuesday May 10.

Mr Estevees said this was the first time a prosecution for industrial manslaughter has been brought since the introduction of the offence in the Northern Territory.

Work Safe did not provide the worker’s name, citing the next-of-kin request for privacy.

(Visited 2,267 times, 1 visits today)

Ads by Google

Ads by Google

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense