Investigators are looking into how a blaze started in the laundry of a house in Alice Springs on Thursday, the Northern Territory Fire and Rescue Service has said.
Media manager Rob Cross said the fire broke out in the Elliott St house about 12:30pm, and firies found the laundry alight.
He said the residents self-evacuated after smelling the smoke and neighbours helped them prevent the fire spreading to the rest of the house.
“This incident serves as a reminder of the importance of having a working smoke detector in your home and the early warning of a fire that it provides,” he said.
Mr Cross did not say if the house had smoke detectors.