Government delays new remote rental payment scheme after backlash | NT Independent

Government delays new remote rental payment scheme after backlash

by | Aug 30, 2022 | News | 0 comments

Implementation of the Fyles Government’s new remote rental payment scheme, that could see rents rise by as much as $200 a week in some instances, has been deferred with the government stating it would continue consultations with remote tenants.

The new remote rent framework, targeted to commence next week, has now been deferred to February 6, to allow for more consultation and information campaigns for renters across communities, town camps and other community living areas.

While the impending rent increase would be the first rise for remote public housing tenants in over a decade, around 65 per cent of households will be negatively impacted by the new framework, some groups have argued.

According to the government, the new rental framework creates a “fair system”; is “easy to understand and administer”; removes the need for bonds; and charges tenants a flat rate of $70 per bedroom, per week.

The government added that the new framework automatically provides a rental “safety net” for tenants identified as “at risk” of rental stress when the new Remote Rent Framework comes into effect. With the implementation of the new rental scheme across remote communities, legacy rental debts have been waived up until December 11, 2021.

That figure was previously reported at $70 million, which the government quietly decided to write-off without disclosing to the public.

However, the Northern Land Council said the NT government failed to satisfactorily justify the new rent increases.

The government’s new framework cancels income-based rental settings for all remote public housing properties and introduces pricing schemes – regardless of the home’s age or condition – causing about two-thirds of tenants to pay more to continue living in their homes, the council said.

“The new model does not mirror what was proposed in 2018, particularly the increase in charges per bedroom. The justification for the rent increase has not been widely consulted,” a spokesperson for the council previously said.

Minister for Housing and Homelands Selena Uibo said the government will make sure tenants and stakeholders will be fully informed about the changes and will be revisiting communities to explain the new framework in detail.

“The new Framework will replace an out-of-date system that was confusing for tenants, and challenging to administer,” she said.

Ads by Google

Ads by Google

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

Adsense

0 Comments

Submit a Comment