Organisers are expecting thousands of Territorians to once again rally against the violent crime crisis gripping the Territory, with the second rally in as many months scheduled for this Saturday at 4pm at Parliament House, calling on the Fyles Government to make the community safe by adopting real solutions and listening to the public.
On March 25, an estimated 3,000 people rallied after the stabbing death of 20-year-old bottle shop worker Declan Laverty, demanding the government take action – a rally that Chief Minister Natasha Fyles and her Labor caucus colleagues avoided by locking themselves in their electorate offices.
“Obviously the public are annoyed,” one of the organisers told the NT Independent.
“There were 3,000 people who attended and everyone saw it was a peaceful, family event. It’s been one of those issues that has been so prevalent and only gotten worse and worse. People have had enough, they [the government] know people are frustrated and angry … they know there’s a reason for people to come together.”
The organisers, who are victims of crime and do not wish to be named to avoid making the rally about themselves, said they were not politically driven and that the rallies and associated group have come together organically with many Territorians from all areas of the community pitching in to help.
The NT Crime Rally Facebook page has accumulated more than 4,000 followers since its inception last month.
“We’ve had a big response from the community since starting the group and after the rally even more so,” another organiser said.
“The general public want to be involved in what happens next. Having the community band together is a great way to show that we have had enough. We’re not going to sit on our hands much longer for things to stay the same.
“This is what the public wants. The government needs to start listening, the public is fed up, absolutely fed up.”
The first rally led the Fyles Government to announce minor changes to bail laws, which it claimed would mean the presumption against bail for offenders who commit violent crimes with certain “weapons”, but was roundly criticised as not properly addressing the crime problem.
Since the first rally, police commissioner Jamie Chalker was also reportedly asked to resign, but is currently in “negotiations” with the government about his contract, which was set to expire later this year. Mr Chalker had claimed the first rally was being organised by “anti-vaxxers”, which was not substantiated and which organisers rejected, saying it was only claimed to dissuade people from attending.
None of the government’s measures have led to the community being safer since Mr Laverty was stabbed to death while doing his job, organisers said.
“Different areas of the justice system are not working, it’s not making any difference,” an organiser said.
“They have to start being held accountable. Non-profits are being given money and not being held accountable for it. And then the money needs to be directed elsewhere…There are measures that need to be put in place now. These reviews and agreements go on for years and nothing happens, it ends up like now, where things are worse.
“The Chief Minister should be listening to the people, but no party that’s in ever wants to make change for the long term. They want to address [some aspects of] it right now so they’re elected or re-elected.
“These rallies will push for making the needed change. It’s not going to be easy and it won’t be a short-term thing… Everyone coming together as a community, that’s where you get those ideas from others on what might work.”
The rally will take place at Parliament House on Saturday, April 15 at 4pm.






All you NT Public Servants who where too scared to attend (as you know the payback culture of the place), wear a Covid Mask and a hat!