NT Police have issued an arrest warrant for Outback Wrangler star Matt Wright in connection to the February helicopter crash in West Arnhem Land that killed co-star Chris “Willow” Wilson.
Mr Wright, 43, who currently lives in Queensland has been “contacted via his legal team”, police said on Monday morning, and told to present himself to police by 9am this Wednesday where he will be charged with perverting the course of justice, destroying evidence, fabricating evidence, interfering with witnesses and two counts of unlawful entry.
The charges relate to the police’s ongoing investigation into the February 28 helicopter crash that killed Mr Wilson, 34, and seriously injured pilot Sebastian Robinson.
In a statement to Sky News, an unnamed spokesman for Mr Wright denied any allegations of wrongdoing.
It had previously been revealed that Mr Wright was one of four people who flew to the scene.
Helicopter pilot Mick Burbidge and former NT Police officer Neil Mellon – two of the four men – are both facing charges in connection to the crash, including for allegedly fabricating and destroying evidence. Mr Mellon has also been charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and dozens of other criminal charges.
Both men had been ordered by the court not to contact Mr Wright.
It was also revealed in court last month by the prosecution in Mr Burbidge’s matter that prominent Darwin businessman and crocodile farmer Mick Burns was at the site of the crash with the other men.
There were no allegations in court that day nor is there any suggestion that Mr Burns committed any wrongdoing.
NT Police are expected to allege Mr Wright tampered with evidence at the scene of the crash and had falsified records of the helicopter used in the crash by regularly disconnecting the hours meter and had instructed staff to do the same.
Mr Wright’s spokesman denied the allegations.
“Matt strenuously denies any wrongdoing,” the statement said. “What happened was a tragic accident that took the life of a close mate.
“His immediate concern following the accident was the condition of the two team members on board at the time.
“The next priority was ensuring the other helicopters and team members at the site weren’t at risk and that the location was safe.
“Matt will not be making any further statement but he will be vigorously defending the charges.”
Last month, the NT Police made a public plea for anyone with video or photos of the helicopter involved in the crash and owned by Mr Wright’s company Helibrook to contact them.
“The aircraft involved in the crash, a Robinson R44 Raven II bearing call sign VH-IDW, was believed to be used for scenic and adventure tours in the Northern Territory between 2020 and 2022,” the police statement at the time said.
That evidence was expected to show the helicopter was flying when official records provided to the federal regulator indicated it had not.
Last month, Mr Wright had spoken about the crash while promoting his new Netflix series Wild Croc Territory, telling a UK tabloid he was “still processing the death of his close friend”.
“It’s still pretty raw,” the Express quoted Mr Wright saying.
“It’s still pretty fresh. Maybe in time, you know … I’ll explain.”
NOTE: This story was updated to include the statement from Mr Wright’s spokesman.






0 Comments