The immediate reinstatement of alcohol bans in remote communities and town camps in Central Australia has been delayed following crisis talks between Chief Minister Natasha Fyles and the Prime Minister in Canberra, with the pair stating the report recommending the bans will be discussed by their respective cabinets next week and decisions made then.
It’s another delay on taking immediate action, following last week’s crisis talks in Alice Springs between both leaders.
The highly-anticipated report by recently appointed Central Australian Regional Controller Dorelle Anderson was not made public, but parts of it leaked to the media show Ms Anderson has recommended the alcohol bans on remote communities be reinstated urgently and “needs-based” funding be increased for the NT to deal with its social problems that have been years in the making.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Ms Fyles met for the second time on Thursday to discuss both level of governments’ response to the ongoing crime crisis in Alice Springs, the broader problems across the Territory and how to address the recommendations of Ms Anderson’s report.
“The report will be considered by respective cabinets next week,” Mr Albanese posted to Twitter following the meeting, after earlier suggesting that he would take immediate action if the report called for it.
An explanation for why the decision was delayed was not provided.
Ms Fyles said in a statement that the meeting had been “constructive” and that the “next steps will be identified” after the cabinet discussions.
“We will continue working together, listening to the local community and taking action in the best interests of all Territorians,” she said.
“We are not giving up on Alice Springs.”
However, Member for Lingiari Marion Scrymgour said on radio Thursday morning that the Fyles Government had the power to quickly address the problems in Alice Springs by simply legislating for the alcohol bans, that were lifted last July after the federal Stronger Futures legislation lapsed.
“They could have legislated to extend the restrictions, particularly in town camps,” she told Mix 104.9.
“And it’s not just Alice Springs. I think these restrictions need to go right across the Territory so that we can start addressing some of those critical issues.
“I think the restrictions need to be put back, they need to legislate immediately. They can hold the ballot [in communities on grog ban opt-outs] after they put the restrictions back in place under the Liquor Act. The Chief Minister should be trying to as soon as possible. [They should have] legislation waiting to be introduced and passed on urgency [when NT Parliament resumes].”
Sky News reported that Ms Fyles had asked the Commonwealth for more federal money before agreeing to legislate the bans on an opt-out basis. Ms Fyles had enacted an opt-in approach last July that has been roundly criticised for helping enflame the current situation.
The Federal Government reportedly wants the bans back in place immediately and alcohol management plans drafted for communities that choose to opt out, but have agreed to delay the issue until next week after the respective cabinets have held discussions.
The Northern Territory has a long history of misusing federal funds intended for Indigenous disadvantage and it’s understood members of the Albanese Government are aware of the NT’s problems delivering on crucial social program projects.






0 Comments